Statement by Mmaphefo Matsemele on the Health campaign
21 August 2008
The African National Congress believes that the achievement of better health for all is an important part of improving the quality of life of all South Africans. In this regard the Freedom Charter says. "Free Medical care and hospitalization shall be provided for all, with special care for mothers and young children." To further advance these objectives and to build on the successes and achievements of the past 15 years, the ANC is embarking on a mass mobilisation campaign to improve access to quality health care and to encourage healthy lifestyles.
The campaign amongst other things will aim to:
- mobilise communities and sectors of society to promote responsible sexual behaviour, and encourage regular voluntary HIV testing and counselling;
- intensify efforts to create an environment that promotes positive individual behaviour in communities, especially among young people;
- mobilise ANC branches to play a visible role in providing care and support to individuals and families in distress, and in working to eliminate stigma attached to HIV and AIDS;
- promote awareness in communities about services available for prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission, antiretroviral treatment and all means to improve nutrition;
- keep our people informed about their rights and responsibilities regarding their health, including the services available to them
The ANC calls on all South Africans to join us in this campaign, as part of the ongoing effort to achieve a better health thus a better life for all.
Tel: 021 403 36 93