Resignations from Parliament and swering-in of New Members
6 June 2019
The Office of the ANC Chief Whip confirms the resignations of three ANC Members of Parliament. They are former Minister of Social Development comrade Susan Shabangu, former Minister of State Security comrade Dipuo Letsatsi-Duba and former Minister of Human Settlements comrade Nomaindia Mfeketo. As it is normal with similar resignations, there were no reasons provided in their letters.
The Office of the Chief Whip has extended the ANC`s gratitude to these former MPs for the distinguished and diligent service they rendered to the people of South Africa and the ANC over the years in both the Executive and Parliament. We also derive satisfaction from the knowledge that we will continue to tap into their wealth of political and leadership experience as they have all expressed their commitment to continue serving the ANC and the people of South Africa in other capacities.
The ANC has already concluded the process of effecting the necessary replacements and the following members will fill the existing vacancies in the National Assembly:
- Comrade Fikile Masiko will replace comrade Susan Shabangu.
- Comrade Sfiso Buthelezi will replace comrade Dipuo Letsatsi-Duba.
- Comrade Tshoganetso Tongwane will replace comrade Nomaindia Mfeketo.
- Comrade Nombulelo Lillian Hermans will replace comrade Silvia Lucas who withdrew from the list due to her deployment as Deputy Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces.
- Comrade Emily Manketsi Thlape will replace President Cyril Ramaphosa who ceased to be an MP upon his election as President of the Republic of South Africa.
- Comrade Judy Hermans will replace comrade Makhosini Nkosi who did not take up his seat as a Member of Parliament.
The swearing-in ceremony will take place on Monday, 10 June 2019 at 15:00, in Parliament.
Issued by the Office of the ANC Chief Whip, Comrade Pemmy Majodina.