Motion on SA Para Athletic Star Mpumelelo Mhlongo sets new world record
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House -
1) notes that the South African para athletic star sprinter Mpumelelo Mhlongo broke his own world record at the 2019 World Para Athletics Championships in Dubai on Monday,11th November 2019, when he came second in the 100 m combined T64 and T44 class final;
2) further notes that Mpumelelo Mhlongo only took up Para athletics in 2014 at the University of Cape Town and it is his most recent win that has made him a household name in the sporting world;
3) acknowledges that a world record was never in Mhlongo's sights after being born with amniotic band syndrome, which left him with a shorter right leg, a deformed club foot and several deformed fingers;
4) believes that Mhongo's success will inspire many people with disabilities on the African continent in defying the odds; and
5) congratulates Mhlongo on making his family, UCT, the South African Para Athletics fraternity and South Africa proud, and wishes him well as he prepares for the World Championships and 2020 Paralympic Games.