Motion on death of three people during beach baptism by Hon E Mthethwa
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
1) notes with sadness the death of three men who were drowned during a baptism ceremony at Monwabisi beach, next to Khayelitsha in Cape Town on Sunday 25 March 2018;
2) believes that whilst conducting the baptism two of the church members encountered difficulty in the water and a third person then went in to try and assist, but all three drowned;
3) recalls that two bodies were recovered by Sunday afternoon and the police diving unit continued in searching for the third person;
4) recognises that the water at Monwabisi beach generally is very dangerous with undercurrents and rip tides;
5) calls for church leaders to be vigilant when conducting these baptism services; and
6) conveys its condolences to the families of the deceased and church members.