Motion on Caster Semenya and Sunette Viljoen receiving Gold Medal after the ban of the Original Winners
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- welcomes the news that two South African athletes, Caster Semenya and Sunette Viljoen will be officially awarded gold and silver medals respectively, 8 years after the 2011 world athletics championship;
- further notes that the duo will be awarded the medals at the upcoming IAAF World Championships in Doha on 2nd October 2019, following the disqualification of the original winners from Russia by the IAAF for doping violations;
- understands that Semenya will not be competing at this year's world championships but the IAAF will hand her medal to ASA in Doha;
- acknowledges that with this award Semenya will now be a triple world champion after also winning the 2009 and 2017, and Viljoen's award will be her second bronze from 2015;and
- congratulates the South African athletes for their achievements and making the country proud.