Motion on 16 people struck by lighting in Rwanda Church
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
1) notes that at least 16 people were killed and dozens more injured after lightning struck a Seventh-Day Adventist church in Rwanda on Saturday 10 March 2018;
2) understands that fourteen victims were killed on the spot, two died later from their injuries and 140 rushed to hospital and district health centres;
3) remembers that a similar accident took place on Friday 9 March 2018 when lightning struck a group of 18 students, killing one of them and in 2016 when lightning killed 30 people, injured 61 and killed 48 livestock; and
4) recognises that lightning strikes are frequent across Rwanda, which has many hills and mountains, and the country's police record a number of human and livestock deaths each year;
5) conveys its condolences to the government of Rwanda and families of the deceased, wishing the injured churchgoers a speedy recovery.