MOTION ON WORLD SCIENCE DAY FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that the World Science Day for Peace and Development (WSDPD) is annually held on the 10th November to raise awareness of the benefits of science worldwide;
- further notes that the theme of World Science Day for Peace and Development this year is “Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development”;
- acknowledges that the applications of basic sciences are vital for advances in medicine, industry, agriculture, water resources, energy planning, environment, communications and culture;
- further acknowledges that we need more basic science to achieve The 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals; and
- calls on all relevant institutions to publicly affirm their commitment to increased support for scientific initiatives that help society, as well as launch new science policy programmes together with scientific institutions, civil society, universities and schools.