Filling of Vacant Posts
18 November 2008
The ANC Parliamentary Caucus announces that it will today fill all seven of its vacant posts in the National Assembly which were created as a result of the departure of some of its deployed comrades. The seven comrades will be sworn in as Members of Parliament this afternoon during the sitting of the House by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Ms Gwendolyn Mahlangu-Nkabinde.
Our decision to move swiftly in filling these vacancies is informed by our endeavour to ensure that the ability of the organisation to deliver on its outstanding tasks before the end of the third term of Parliament remains unaffected. The comrades will be deployed to various parliamentary structures after their appointments.
The seven comrades who will take the oath as MPs to take over the vacant positions are as follows:
1. Mr. Enoch Godongwana. He replaces Ms Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi who resigned on 25 September
2. Ms. Doris Ntombizodwa Skhosana. She replaces Mr. Aziz Pahad, who resigned on 25 September
3. Ms. Thandile Sunduza. She replaces Mr. Terror Lekota who resigned on 25 September
4. Mr. Papi Otukile Moloto. He replaces Ms Thoko Didiza who resigned on 26 September
5. Ms. Joyce Clementine Moloi-Moropa. She replaces Mr. Alec Erwin who resigned on 26 September
6. Mr. Bob Shihlangoma Mabaso. He replaces Ms Sindiswa Rwexana who resigned on 28 October
7. Mr. Lucky Mpho Kgabi. He replaces Mr. Kgalema Motlanthe, who resigned to take over the position of the President of the Republic.
We take this opportunity to welcome these comrades and wish them well in their tasks.
Caucus wishes to join millions in South African and the world over in bidding a sad farewell to one of our outstanding veteran musicians, Miriam Zenzile Makeba, who passed away last week.
Throughout the many years of her heroic life, Mama Africa personified the struggle against apartheid and her revolutionary songs helped galvanise the people to rise against and defeat the notorious oppressive regime.
Caucus will tomorrow, Wednesday - 19 November 2008, hold a memorial service to honour this fallen hero of the people.
The service will be attended by, amongst others, Members of Parliament, representatives of the Makeba family, including grandson, Lumumba Lee, and nephew, Dumisani Motha, as well as representatives from the music industry.
Deputy President of the Republic, Baleka Mbete, and ANC Chief Whip will this afternoon join Parliament in paying tribute to the veteran artist during the sitting of the National Assembly.
Issued by the ANC Parliamentary Caucus
072 307 7007