ANC Caucus statement
8 September 2005
1. Floor crossing
Floor crossing is one of the legal ways of allowing elected public representatives to switch over to the parties of their choice. In the experience of South Africa, floor crossing reinforces multi-party democracy. Essentially floor crossing is a cost effective way of responding to the dynamic political environment.
Floor crossing allows parties to disband and reinvent themselves whilst retaining their seats. In this manner freedom of association is not compromised.
By joining the ANC new Members get an opportunity to play a significant and active role in a concerted effort of service delivery and transformation of our society. Creating work and fighting poverty in line with our polices enshrined in the Freedom Charter are at the centre of the mandate of the African National Congress.
It is in this context that Caucus commends all members who have joined the movement in a number of provinces since the opening of the floor crossing period on 1 September 2005 in order to pursue these goals.
Similarly, we welcome in our midst the National Assembly members who have since joined the ANC from both the New National Party and the African Christian Democratic Party.
The names of the comrades from the NNP are: M Van Schalkwyk, C Greyling, F Beukman, J Schippers and C Johnson while of those from ACDP are Rev MS Khumalo and Adv Mighty Madasa.
We view their decision to come to the ANC as a further testimony of the confidence many South Africans have in the movement as the only agent for change.
2. Replacements in the National Assembly
Caucus would like to announce the following filling of the ANC seats in the National Assembly left vacant due to a number of resignations since March 2005.
- ML Matsemela replaces PS Molefe who resigned on March 8
- G Lekgetho replaces JG Zuma who resigned June 15
- SL Dithebe replaces PN Mnandi who resigned on August 1
- MJJ Matsomela replaces HM Mphaka who resigned August 1
- AF Madella replaces RR Joemat who resigned August 1
- W Ngwenya replaces MN Magazi who resigned August 1
- MA Cele replaces NR Ntshulana-Bhengu who resigned August 1
- TJ Bonhomme replaces EM Dipico who resigned August 1
3. Appointments of chairpersons of committees.
The following ANC MPs have been appointed to fill vacant positions of chairs of committees.
- L Zitha - Environmental Affairs and Tourism
- NM Nene - Portfolio Committee on Finance
- LL Mabe - Joint Budget Committee
- DG Nhlengethwa
- Portfolio committee on Agriculture and Land Affairs
4. Appointments of Whips
The following Members have been appointed as ANC Whips to replace both RR Joemat and PN Mnandi, who resigned on August 1:
- XC Makasi
- AN Luthuli
Form more information contact:
Mpho Lekgoro, MP [Caucus Spokesperson]
083 255 8118
Moloto Mothapo [Head of Media]
082 370 6930